the art of loneliness
In retrospect, I was horribly lonely in New Orleans. While I have no trouble with being alone, it's not the same thing.
I didn't make a friend for six months. More came six months before I finally threw in the towel. That's when I found these lovely, like-minded creatures at a job I finally got and that I loved.
Back in Chicago, the same friends are still here and I value them immensely, but I also miss the handful of friends in New Orleans, and just this week I was surprised with a lovely box of New Orleans delights from one of these friends.
And next week I fly to Minneapolis to join the celebration for the-woman-I-consider-my-mother's 90th birthday! Which wouldn't have happened if not for friends I consider family. It's been three and a half years since I saw her. And too, too long for all the others.
After I return to Chicago, to my little flat, I will be very ready to be alone and quiet after the hysterical laughter and fun from the past days. And I won't be feeling lonely at all. Only grateful.
I didn't make a friend for six months. More came six months before I finally threw in the towel. That's when I found these lovely, like-minded creatures at a job I finally got and that I loved.
Back in Chicago, the same friends are still here and I value them immensely, but I also miss the handful of friends in New Orleans, and just this week I was surprised with a lovely box of New Orleans delights from one of these friends.
And next week I fly to Minneapolis to join the celebration for the-woman-I-consider-my-mother's 90th birthday! Which wouldn't have happened if not for friends I consider family. It's been three and a half years since I saw her. And too, too long for all the others.
After I return to Chicago, to my little flat, I will be very ready to be alone and quiet after the hysterical laughter and fun from the past days. And I won't be feeling lonely at all. Only grateful.
![]() |
| love actually, the continuation ©Trish Korous |



this image and the words with it are heartwarming. have no better words to express my feelings, sorry - and thank you for you being you.. for being as you are
ReplyDeleteThank you, dearest Mo, for taking the time to read this and to comment. Your thoughts are important to me. xo
Deletesometimes lonely is just how it is. and sometimes we have to recall and bring up friends in our minds.
Deleteyou have people who love you. everywhere. you're lucky.
the words are fine, and to the heart.
I would have gone (more) nuts without my cameras and books. And, yes, in my mind is how I got through it.
DeleteThanks, Susan. xo