on viewing of photography in a black and white world

Over the years, I’ve noticed a disturbing thing about people that view my street photography. Perhaps this is not unique to me.

When I shoot these types of photos, they are almost always candid, meaning I rarely ask the subject if I can take their photo. I don’t want them to feel self-conscious or have them pose. Or have them say no. I look for interesting people or faces or attitudes and hopefully a good setting. Sometimes I just get lucky.

Most of these street shots are photos of which I am very proud, happy with the expressions I managed to catch at just the right moment. My subjects fall everywhere on the human spectrum: mature, young, woman, man, child, straight, gay, black, brown, white.  Invariably, my photos of African-Americans are not commented on as much and the like button is hit a bit less.

Are the people commenting biased? Racist? Really? Many of these people I consider friends, some I actually know in real life. And I don't have any -ist friends. At least I’m pretty sure I don’t. If I do, you can stop being my friend right now. Seriously. Go away.

Or, perhaps, when I take these photos, am I unconsciously doing something to make them not as well-taken as my photos of white strangers? Hmmm… I don’t think so. An interesting face or personality has no gender or race to me. I simply find it intriguing. Just like any scene or flower or old sign I photograph.

Are my photos of blacks not as good as my photos of whites? Definitely not.

So what is going on here? Maybe it’s totally unconscious thing for the viewers, too. Would that make it a matter of socialisation? Did this begin in school? Provided it didn’t start in the home. How can one know that in this context?

I’m not trying to start trouble or insult anyone, I honestly am hoping for some insight. Do whites tend to prefer looking at whites? Do African-Americans feel the same? (Pornography is not part of this discussion, for obvious reasons.)

The more I think about this, the more curious I become. The more questions arise. Anyone with any information regarding this such as a study or written article, please tell me. Perhaps there’s a dissertation I should be directed towards. I’ve always been a student of human nature, and I must admit to feeling totally stumped.
going home
©Trish Korous

his bright future
©Trish Korous

humans of new orleans
©Trish Korous

big dreams
©Trish Korous

chicago attitude
©Trish Korous

family
©Trish Korous


Comments

  1. Super photos ! Super texte ! Bravo my friend !!! Continue !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts