i am not an artist
I am a photographer. Some of my photos may be occasionally arty, but I am still a photographer. To call myself an artist would require more gumption, and less modesty, than I possess. If others choose to call me that, I cannot stop them.
I think there is something beautiful about a well-taken photo. One without all the textures and overlays and apps. One that tells a story in just one frame. It doesn't matter if the image was taken by a film camera, a digital camera, or a mobile phone. As much as I love film photography, I am not that much of a snob that I can’t recognise and acknowledge quality work in other photo mediums.
Speaking of textures. I do use them on my digital images; hardly ever on a film frame. Not on every digital file, but I employ them when the feeling strikes. I usually try to keep the effect slight and only to enhance or create a mood, or to make the photograph appear from another time. Sometimes I do go a bit crazy with them, but these are experiments, and they don’t happen with any regularity.
I visit the Art Institute a lot and my first stop is always any photography exhibit that they have. Sometimes I return for a second and third viewing. These exhibits inspire me and I love gazing at these small masterpieces of contrast and light and composition and technique. They tell stories of historical milestones, distant lands, political upheavals, celebratory moments, life and death, and simple stories to which everyone can relate.
I especially find black and white photography captivating. I think the brain works differently when confronted with a monochromatic image, if only because humans see in colour. There is no blue sky or green grass or red brick to focus on.
Think of Henri Cartier-Bresson, Brassai, Eugène Atget, Diane Arbus, Edward Weston, Ansel Adams, Vivian Maier, Edward Steichen, Imogen Cunningham, and all the others. Masters of telling stories, some of them epic, in one frame. These are the photographers I take inspiration from, the ones that will never go out of style, at least to me and the friends and photographers that feel like I do.
As an aside… I don’t think converting a photo to black and white instantly makes it “art”. Even nudes. Especially nudes. Goodness, no. Likewise for adding texture to a bad photo. This does not make it good. No. Stop doing that. If a photo is bad, adding all manner of bells and whistles will only exacerbate this.
I think there is something beautiful about a well-taken photo. One without all the textures and overlays and apps. One that tells a story in just one frame. It doesn't matter if the image was taken by a film camera, a digital camera, or a mobile phone. As much as I love film photography, I am not that much of a snob that I can’t recognise and acknowledge quality work in other photo mediums.
Speaking of textures. I do use them on my digital images; hardly ever on a film frame. Not on every digital file, but I employ them when the feeling strikes. I usually try to keep the effect slight and only to enhance or create a mood, or to make the photograph appear from another time. Sometimes I do go a bit crazy with them, but these are experiments, and they don’t happen with any regularity.
I visit the Art Institute a lot and my first stop is always any photography exhibit that they have. Sometimes I return for a second and third viewing. These exhibits inspire me and I love gazing at these small masterpieces of contrast and light and composition and technique. They tell stories of historical milestones, distant lands, political upheavals, celebratory moments, life and death, and simple stories to which everyone can relate.
I especially find black and white photography captivating. I think the brain works differently when confronted with a monochromatic image, if only because humans see in colour. There is no blue sky or green grass or red brick to focus on.
Think of Henri Cartier-Bresson, Brassai, Eugène Atget, Diane Arbus, Edward Weston, Ansel Adams, Vivian Maier, Edward Steichen, Imogen Cunningham, and all the others. Masters of telling stories, some of them epic, in one frame. These are the photographers I take inspiration from, the ones that will never go out of style, at least to me and the friends and photographers that feel like I do.
As an aside… I don’t think converting a photo to black and white instantly makes it “art”. Even nudes. Especially nudes. Goodness, no. Likewise for adding texture to a bad photo. This does not make it good. No. Stop doing that. If a photo is bad, adding all manner of bells and whistles will only exacerbate this.
So no, I am not an artist. I like to take photos. I am a girl with a camera. With no formal training, a bit of talent, a good eye, a nice sense of composition, and a lot of imagination. But I am not an artist. I am a photographer. And it couldn’t make me happier.
![]() |
| souvenirs hantés medium format St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 New Orleans ©Trish Korous |
![]() |
| untitled (cute guy with dog) French Quarter New Orleans ©Trish Korous |
![]() |
| say a little prayer for me St. Louis Cathedral French Quarter New Orleans ©Trish Korous |
![]() | ||||
| the details of death anonymous tomb door Cimetière du Père Lachaise Paris medium format ©Trish Korous |






Comments
Post a Comment