and the ball drops
As 2017 ends, resolutions to make changes in the new year are everywhere. Or not. I do not make resolutions. At least at year-end. They happen throughout the year when I reach decisions, get fed up, or simply feel the need. And I certainly don’t think resolutions made just because it’s the first of January will necessarily last. There has to be a better reason than a day on the calendar. At least for me.
One thing I’m working towards is leaning more heavily on film in my photography and less on my iPhone. The slower pace of film, the concentration that is needed, and the patience it requires fit more with how I view myself and my photography. And it makes me happy. Because even with all the technique and know-how and perfect light, with film you still have that wonderful element of surprise. At least my film work does. Especially when Ms. Holga, II is in my hands.
So that is something I hope to do more of in 2018.
I also plan on continuing this blog, although it sometimes feels (like now!) a struggle to find the words. About anything. But then I read my past posts and remember how a few resonated with my readers. Admitting to loneliness is huge, apparently. As is feeling gratitude. And I know I walked a very thin line talking about sexual abuse versus sexual harassment. But I needed to write those things. To get them out in the open. And in doing this, I was given the bittersweet honour of many women, some I’d known for years, writing to me of their own copings with incest and rape and abuse. I never would have known had I not written about my experiences. I cried along with them and became sickened all over again at how pervasive this truly is.
I’ve had countless people tell me over the years that I should write. Especially regarding my romantic life, such as it is (not). I must be very entertaining when verbally regaling them with my tales as a singleton. So that is a topic that might make scattered appearances in the new year. I really do have many funny stories and a real whopper no one will ever believe.
But for now, right this minute, I will close this surprising, worrying, humbling year with thanking you, my readers, for your encouragement and humour and the willingness to share your stories. Because, let’s be honest, people don’t write blogs, or books, or take photographs, or paint and sculpt only to be ignored. Some of us might not be the loudest or the most cutting-edge, but we all have the same need to tell our stories using whatever medium speaks to us. I’ve been blessed in my life with being able to express myself in a few ways: using music and my flute starting when I was eight; discovering photography around the same time when I was given my first Instamatic camera for a birthday, and now, my words.
May 2018 bring you good health, happiness, much love, and limitless creativity.
“Art is what makes us human.” -Trish Korous
One thing I’m working towards is leaning more heavily on film in my photography and less on my iPhone. The slower pace of film, the concentration that is needed, and the patience it requires fit more with how I view myself and my photography. And it makes me happy. Because even with all the technique and know-how and perfect light, with film you still have that wonderful element of surprise. At least my film work does. Especially when Ms. Holga, II is in my hands.
So that is something I hope to do more of in 2018.
I also plan on continuing this blog, although it sometimes feels (like now!) a struggle to find the words. About anything. But then I read my past posts and remember how a few resonated with my readers. Admitting to loneliness is huge, apparently. As is feeling gratitude. And I know I walked a very thin line talking about sexual abuse versus sexual harassment. But I needed to write those things. To get them out in the open. And in doing this, I was given the bittersweet honour of many women, some I’d known for years, writing to me of their own copings with incest and rape and abuse. I never would have known had I not written about my experiences. I cried along with them and became sickened all over again at how pervasive this truly is.
I’ve had countless people tell me over the years that I should write. Especially regarding my romantic life, such as it is (not). I must be very entertaining when verbally regaling them with my tales as a singleton. So that is a topic that might make scattered appearances in the new year. I really do have many funny stories and a real whopper no one will ever believe.
But for now, right this minute, I will close this surprising, worrying, humbling year with thanking you, my readers, for your encouragement and humour and the willingness to share your stories. Because, let’s be honest, people don’t write blogs, or books, or take photographs, or paint and sculpt only to be ignored. Some of us might not be the loudest or the most cutting-edge, but we all have the same need to tell our stories using whatever medium speaks to us. I’ve been blessed in my life with being able to express myself in a few ways: using music and my flute starting when I was eight; discovering photography around the same time when I was given my first Instamatic camera for a birthday, and now, my words.
May 2018 bring you good health, happiness, much love, and limitless creativity.
“Art is what makes us human.” -Trish Korous
![]() |
| carnival ©Trish Korous | 2013 |



your words are touching me as usual and i will be back to answer, for now: loads of hugs and kisses to you and may the ways you'll walk on make you discover tenderness, light and colors.
ReplyDeleteThank you, dearest Mo. Very happy to read your words.
Delete