Christmas, Actually
This week I’m going to talk about the films and programs I watch when there’s time, the books and stories I like to read before bed or on a cold weekend afternoon, and the music I listen to pretty much all the time. All pertaining to Christmas, actually.
I’ll start with the television programs. Nothing portrays the wonder of late December like A Charlie Brown Christmas. I don’t know which I like better: that sad little tree or the way the children’s mouths look when they sing “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing”. Or maybe it’s Schroeder playing variations on Jingle Bells, trying to please Lucy’s unsophisticated ear. Or Miss Van Pelt’s five cent psychiatry stand. It’s all wonderful and Charles Schulz was a genius.
Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer features a young buck with a flashing red nose and an Island of Misfit Toys. And the Abominable Snowman. All delightfully animated AND with Burl Ives singing the title song. If this feature doesn’t charm you, you are dead.
My favourite holiday films are varied and I never get tired of these, even the ones I’ve been viewing for decades. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without A Christmas Carol. I recently watched these two versions back to back: the 1938 version starring Reginald Owen as Scrooge and the 1951 production featuring Alastair Sim in the main role. I honestly cannot decide which of these I like better. So I’m going to stop trying to choose.
Love, Actually. While it may make some vomit or at least become very nauseous, I love it to pieces. And not only because of Hugh Grant, Emma Thompson, and the late, great Alan Rickman (even though I hate how his character behaves). Not even Colin Firth. But I love the stories of love. In all it’s beautiful forms. And where else does Milwaukee become a sex destination?
A Christmas Story. No big surprise here. Jean Shepherd’s story is too, too funny. And as it sometimes plays continuously during the holidays, there’s no need for me to say anything more. Except that multiple viewings will not put your eye out.
Holiday Inn is not all about Christmas, but it does have the first screening of Bing Crosby singing White Christmas. That’s enough for me. Well. That and the dancing.
Another favourite is Trading Places. Eddie Murphy and Dan Ackroyd are solid gold. I remember my grandmother loving this as it also stars Don Ameche and Ralph Bellamy. I think Grandma Myrle had a secret crush on Mr. Ameche. But her loving it made it more special as it was a “modern” film and she usually didn’t like anything made after 1950. Except me.
You may think Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale is a strange film for this list. But I like this little Finnish film about Santa being unearthed in the mountains. It’s labeled as horror, but I don’t find it too scary. I think it’s quirky and charming. If you are unfamiliar with it, find it and watch it. You will not be disappointed.
You will note that It’s a Wonderful Life is not on my list. BLECH! I cannot stand that movie. I’m sure I’m not the only one. I’m not, am I?
I love reading A Christmas Carol, too. And books about the history of the holidays, and the traditions in Scandinavia, which is where my genes originated.
O. Henry’s The Gift of the Magi is a simple tale that reminds one what giving, at any time of year and for whatever reason, should truly be about.
I listen to a lot of Christmas music, from the Nutcracker Suite to the Vienna Boys Choir to the Ray Conniff Singers to Wynton Marsalis and Harry Connick, Jr. and Annie Lennox. Celtic and French holiday music are high on my list as are Medieval and Renaissance music. Music is life. And holiday music brings me back to childhood and happy times with cousins and grandmothers and aunts and uncles and so much joy and food and presents and love.
And you can listen (and sing along!) while wrapping gifts or baking cookies or decorating the tree. And hopefully your cat will not be too judgmental regarding your singing abilities.
But I just may be wrong, actually.
I’ll start with the television programs. Nothing portrays the wonder of late December like A Charlie Brown Christmas. I don’t know which I like better: that sad little tree or the way the children’s mouths look when they sing “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing”. Or maybe it’s Schroeder playing variations on Jingle Bells, trying to please Lucy’s unsophisticated ear. Or Miss Van Pelt’s five cent psychiatry stand. It’s all wonderful and Charles Schulz was a genius.
Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer features a young buck with a flashing red nose and an Island of Misfit Toys. And the Abominable Snowman. All delightfully animated AND with Burl Ives singing the title song. If this feature doesn’t charm you, you are dead.
My favourite holiday films are varied and I never get tired of these, even the ones I’ve been viewing for decades. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without A Christmas Carol. I recently watched these two versions back to back: the 1938 version starring Reginald Owen as Scrooge and the 1951 production featuring Alastair Sim in the main role. I honestly cannot decide which of these I like better. So I’m going to stop trying to choose.
Love, Actually. While it may make some vomit or at least become very nauseous, I love it to pieces. And not only because of Hugh Grant, Emma Thompson, and the late, great Alan Rickman (even though I hate how his character behaves). Not even Colin Firth. But I love the stories of love. In all it’s beautiful forms. And where else does Milwaukee become a sex destination?
A Christmas Story. No big surprise here. Jean Shepherd’s story is too, too funny. And as it sometimes plays continuously during the holidays, there’s no need for me to say anything more. Except that multiple viewings will not put your eye out.
Holiday Inn is not all about Christmas, but it does have the first screening of Bing Crosby singing White Christmas. That’s enough for me. Well. That and the dancing.
Another favourite is Trading Places. Eddie Murphy and Dan Ackroyd are solid gold. I remember my grandmother loving this as it also stars Don Ameche and Ralph Bellamy. I think Grandma Myrle had a secret crush on Mr. Ameche. But her loving it made it more special as it was a “modern” film and she usually didn’t like anything made after 1950. Except me.
You may think Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale is a strange film for this list. But I like this little Finnish film about Santa being unearthed in the mountains. It’s labeled as horror, but I don’t find it too scary. I think it’s quirky and charming. If you are unfamiliar with it, find it and watch it. You will not be disappointed.
You will note that It’s a Wonderful Life is not on my list. BLECH! I cannot stand that movie. I’m sure I’m not the only one. I’m not, am I?
I love reading A Christmas Carol, too. And books about the history of the holidays, and the traditions in Scandinavia, which is where my genes originated.
O. Henry’s The Gift of the Magi is a simple tale that reminds one what giving, at any time of year and for whatever reason, should truly be about.
I listen to a lot of Christmas music, from the Nutcracker Suite to the Vienna Boys Choir to the Ray Conniff Singers to Wynton Marsalis and Harry Connick, Jr. and Annie Lennox. Celtic and French holiday music are high on my list as are Medieval and Renaissance music. Music is life. And holiday music brings me back to childhood and happy times with cousins and grandmothers and aunts and uncles and so much joy and food and presents and love.
And you can listen (and sing along!) while wrapping gifts or baking cookies or decorating the tree. And hopefully your cat will not be too judgmental regarding your singing abilities.
But I just may be wrong, actually.
![]() |
| ©Trish Korous |
![]() |
| ©Trish Korous |




Comments
Post a Comment