the dark yumminess of winter

January is the perfect time for Netflix binges, rereading favourite books, and going through old negatives, prints, and unpublished digital photos to see what’s been neglected or passed over due to moods or simple lack of time. At least that’s how I’ll be spending this very cold month.

Of course, cold winters, like this one, also beg for homemade chili (and mine is good… REALLY GOOD.) And roasted vegetables seasoned with herbes de Provence and extra lavender seeds (delicious with the brussels sprouts). Lots of hot chocolate (real hot chocolate made with cocoa and vanilla) and tea. Strong black tea is my preference, with lemon, never milk. (Blech.) I’ll share my recipes at the end of this post.

Currently, I’m engrossed in two Netflix series: The Killing and Mindhunter. The Killing, recommended to me by a friend, follows two misfit Seattle detectives as they solve grisly murders and struggle with their personal demons. I thought I had figured out the murderer more than a few times, and then - BAM! - another twist. I never saw the ending coming. The second season is just as chilling and it’s hard for me to stop watching so I can get enough sleep for work. It is based on a Danish series, and as I LOVE Nordic Noir with its gritty realism and unhappy endings, and as there are many Scandinavian names in the credits, I was correct in thinking The Killing would be good. In fact, the male detective is played by a Swede.

Mindhunter is based on John Douglas’ books. He was the FBI agent that helped set up the Behavioural Science Unit at Quantico. Mr. Douglas was one of the agents that went on the road and interviewed dozens of serial and mass murderers, including Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, and Richard Speck, to name three, and developed the tool of criminal profiling. I’ve read all his books and they’re fascinating. In my next life, I want to be a forensic psychiatrist and work for the FBI. That would be my dream career.

Sorry for getting sidetracked. This is another well done series. The scenes with the two agents talking to the incarcerated killers are riveting. These figures are fascinating to listen to, I can only imagine what it felt like actually interviewing them.

As a side note, Mindhunter has a great 1970’s soundtrack. So tune in, you won’t be disappointed. At times, it’s like a retro roadtrip complete with colourful characters and diners and the Atlanta Rhythm Section.

While not on Netflix, I just watched the complete first season of True Detective on HBO. I’d only viewed two episodes before leaving New Orleans in 2015 and got busy with other things, but due to a recent cost saving measure, I now have a year of free HBO. Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson are outstanding as flawed detectives working for the Louisiana State Police and investigating possible satanic ritual killings. These two fine actors, against the backdrop of a bleakly beautiful rural Louisiana, are exceptional. Watch it, if you can.

I am also rereading Caleb Carr’s The Alienist. Victorian New York, a pre-presidential Teddy Roosevelt, a gruff but brilliant “alienist,” (an archaic term for a psychiatrist or psychologist), and of course some horrific and unspeakable murders. I could not put this book down when I read it in 1994, when it was first published. And I’m enjoying it just as much the second time around.

Next up will be a reread of Jeffrey Deaver’s The Bone Collector. Forget about the Denzel Washington - Angelina Jolie film. Read the book. I remember the paperback being passed around at my workplace. We all loved it, and couldn’t stop talking about it. I think I liked the references to old New York. Must be a previous life leading me to these turn of the last century storylines.

To balance out all this murder and death, I’m also going through my physical photo files which include negatives and prints and my older digital files to see what needs to be seen. I take a lot of photos and I always find something that’s been overlooked. It seems that this endeavour will never not have to be done. But that’s okay. I think reviewing old work is good to do periodically as it shows you where you were at a certain time, photographically and emotionally.

And don’t worry about my mental health. Despite what I’m watching and reading, I am not depressed, nor am I a psychopath nor am I particularly psychotic. They’re just what I like and come spring I’ll be on to lighter fare. Maybe.

Now for the yumminess…

Trish’s Roasted Vegetables

about one pound Brussels sprouts
one bunch carrots, maybe 10-12 (not baby carrots)
one fennel bulb
Cipolline onions (or pearl)
olive oil
dried herbes de Provence (to taste)
dried lavender seeds (to taste)
salt and pepper to taste

Oil a 13” x 9” pan with the olive oil
Clean the vegetables
Cut the sprouts in half
Cut the carrots in half lengthwise, then in half again
Thinly slice the fennel
Slice the tops and bottoms off the onions (perfect size already)

Place the vegetables in the pan in layers. I start with the sprouts.
Spray or brush on more olive oil.
Sprinkle the herbes de Provence and lavender seeds over all.
More herbs than seeds. I don’t measure, I just know what “looks about right”.
Maybe 2-3 grabs between your fingers (bigger than a pinch) of the herbs.
And about two grabs of the seeds. Or cup your hand and use a handful of herbs and half a handful of lavender seeds. Salt and pepper.

Cover with aluminum foil and roast at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour. Take off foil for the last 15 minutes or so.

I’ve tried many combinations over the years, and like this version the best. These are great with chicken or fish, but I often just eat the vegetables for a meal. With a nice glass of whatever wine I have.


Trish’s Chili

1 pound ground sirloin
1 large white onion, chopped
1 green sweet pepper, chopped
1 yellow sweet pepper, chopped
1 red sweet pepper, chopped

Brown beef in soup pot. You may have to add some olive oil as the sirloin is very low fat. When it’s about half way browned, add the chopped onion and peppers.

Drain and rinse:
(I use the no sodium style.)
1 15 oz can black beans
1 15 oz can garbanzo beans
1 15 oz can dark red kidney beans
1 15 oz can light red kidney beans
1 can of sweet corn

Don’t rinse:
2 15 oz cans Bush’s Chili Beans, mild or hot
3 large cans chopped tomatoes
½ to one large can of water

Add all the beans, corn, and tomatoes to the meat, onions, and peppers.
Add Chili powder or whatever spice you prefer.
Cover and heat under low heat to simmer. Cook at least 4-5 hours.
After it’s been cooking for about two hours, I remove the cover so some of the liquid will evaporate and the chili will be thicker.

I serve with Cheez Its on top as I like cheese on chili but don’t like cleaning melted cheese off my bowls. And Cheez Its are perfect.

This has evolved over the years and every couple of years, I add something new. I’ve also tried making with ground turkey. Nah… not that great.

And this is very good with Abita Amber Ale, y’all.  Listen  


on the road
Louisiana
©Trish Korous | 2014




Comments

Popular Posts