on being a grumpy old introvert
Some weeks I want to tell everyone to go away.
When I’m on the train, do not touch me and ask for money. Do not sit next to me and then squirm like a crack whore.
When at the doctor’s office and I’ve appeared in your window, look up from your mobile. Acknowledge me.
On social media, don't just click your little like button, say something, or I’ll silently click my little like button and show you.
I don’t know if I’ve become a grumpy old woman or it’s just a longing for different times. I used to read every day. Time Magazine from cover to cover each week, a book or more every month, articles and essays on topics that interested me: psychology, literature, travel, history, science, film, photography. The Sunday paper. Real books, papers, newspapers. And I felt like I had more time, or more control of my time.
Some days I cannot bear to look at another overly app-ed or photoshopped image. To me, they are not photography, but graphic or commercial art. And not everyone that produces these works are artists. Designers, maybe.
I certainly cannot read another misspelled, grammatically incorrect post or article. They make my head hurt. I’m talking about the English as a first and only language people, by the way. You know, Americans.
Some days, I loath Facebook and Instagram. I don’t want to know everything about you or every thought you have, unless I feel a bond. Even then, it’s okay to have secrets. I won’t take it personally. I keep secrets, too, believe it or not.
Often, I don’t want to interact with anyone, not even you. Please don’t take it to heart. I can only process so much, and I need to reserve my energy for those that are part of my real life. For my life. I have my own worries and troubles and cannot take on more.
I don’t need one thousand followers or friends; I need the love, support, and camaraderie of only a handful.
I know this sounds like a rant or a very bad mood. But it’s only the thoughts of an introvert that just wants to be left alone at times, while still needing human interaction. Working in an environment with many interesting coworkers, not to mention customers, wears me out many days. I just want to get home to my cat and a cup of tea. I want to be in my own little corner, in my own little room, and just be.
When I’m on the train, do not touch me and ask for money. Do not sit next to me and then squirm like a crack whore.
When at the doctor’s office and I’ve appeared in your window, look up from your mobile. Acknowledge me.
On social media, don't just click your little like button, say something, or I’ll silently click my little like button and show you.
I don’t know if I’ve become a grumpy old woman or it’s just a longing for different times. I used to read every day. Time Magazine from cover to cover each week, a book or more every month, articles and essays on topics that interested me: psychology, literature, travel, history, science, film, photography. The Sunday paper. Real books, papers, newspapers. And I felt like I had more time, or more control of my time.
Some days I cannot bear to look at another overly app-ed or photoshopped image. To me, they are not photography, but graphic or commercial art. And not everyone that produces these works are artists. Designers, maybe.
I certainly cannot read another misspelled, grammatically incorrect post or article. They make my head hurt. I’m talking about the English as a first and only language people, by the way. You know, Americans.
Some days, I loath Facebook and Instagram. I don’t want to know everything about you or every thought you have, unless I feel a bond. Even then, it’s okay to have secrets. I won’t take it personally. I keep secrets, too, believe it or not.
Often, I don’t want to interact with anyone, not even you. Please don’t take it to heart. I can only process so much, and I need to reserve my energy for those that are part of my real life. For my life. I have my own worries and troubles and cannot take on more.
I don’t need one thousand followers or friends; I need the love, support, and camaraderie of only a handful.
I know this sounds like a rant or a very bad mood. But it’s only the thoughts of an introvert that just wants to be left alone at times, while still needing human interaction. Working in an environment with many interesting coworkers, not to mention customers, wears me out many days. I just want to get home to my cat and a cup of tea. I want to be in my own little corner, in my own little room, and just be.
I find I am endlessly creative when I spend time by myself, when I am not constantly seeing what everyone else is doing, but only looking with my eyes and feeling my emotions. I want to get back to this, to the way I was, but I am not sure how to do this other than getting rid of all devices, and I may not be ready for that. Or am I?
‘Tis a puzzlement.
in my own little corner
‘Tis a puzzlement.
in my own little corner
![]() |
| in my own little corner ©Trish Korous | 2014 |



I think we’ve all felt this one way or another.. and your face says it all. Most of us need to slow down when it comes to excessive liking and bad grammar. I wrote ‘you’re’ when it should have been ‘your’ the other day in a comment on Instagram and I couldn’t take it back. I was appalled. If you saw it, I hope I didn’t add to your headache. 🤯🤭😬😘
ReplyDeleteOh, no. Never you. Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment. I understand how the demands on everyone’s time leads to some of my angst, I guess I was wondering out loud why we allow the technology to control us. It’s very seductive and addictive. Maybe it is smarter than humans. Yikes!
Deleteso much of the time I'm now spinning. I pulled off, basically, from FB. I don't do instagram. I try to keep up with flickr, but often I fail.
ReplyDeleteI read a book a week. I skim the newspaper. I avoid the news.
life would be much better without computers and flickr. but my photography wouldn't be.
and I've met people whom I really like.
I did add "grammarly" to my browser. it corrects. sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't. but I'm still learning.
I do disagree with you on the statement, "the English as a first and only language people, by the way. You know, Americans."
in california it should be spanish. : )
and it's much easier than english.
Oh, English is horribly difficult. But people could at least make an attempt to appease me. Thanks, Susan. x
Delete