on the act of rebalancing

As hopefully some of you noticed, there was no even the rain is coloured post last week, and as of Friday night, it wasn't looking good for this week either.

Starting a new job is always energy-draining, especially when my advanced age is factored in. Not looking for the well-meaning comments here, but many of my friends are getting ready to retire or have already; I started a new job. I think my time in New Orleans was an early retirement and now I have to work until at least two years after I'm dead.  It is what it is.  This is my path in life, both planned and with all those unexpected twists and turns.

Looking back, I thought I would live in a little cottage behind my son’s family home.  And he was going to build that home, as he would have been an architect.  He loved design and drawing and was very good at it and he would have been brilliant.  I'm not sure what Jason would have thought about my living so close, but I'm sure having a free babysitter literally in the backyard would have swayed him.   That and my snickerdoodles and Swiss Steak.

But I digress.  The new place of employment is demanding a lot right now.  However, I love how quiet it is.  My last place was always so loud, which when working with numbers and balance sheets is often impossible.  And of course it was always the loudest at the exact moment I would need the most quiet.

I did have free lunches everyday, but now I'm bringing my lunch.  Those of you that have known me for some time, and in real life, know this is huge.  I also noticed that the blouse I wore to my interview fit a little looser this past week.  So that’s another good thing. The money saved is tremendous, too.  What was I thinking all those years?

I am feeling more comfortable being myself with my coworkers.  The walls are starting to come down.  More importantly, I am asking for help when I need it.  That has never been an easy thing.  I was always afraid it would show me as incompetent or make my employers think they had made the wrong choice.   Or recently, that I was too old.

Friday was my first payday and how wonderful to see those numbers.   I can breathe again.  I celebrated with a new pair of Skechers at DSW.   I bought four books from one of my favourite used book stores.  I ordered a combination plate from my favourite Middle Eastern restaurant and rewatched a favourite movie, Arachnophobia.  (Julian Sands… sigh.)

So while I am adjusting Monday through Friday, my weekends are returning to normal.  I was hoping to make a lumen or cyanotype today, but a thick cloud cover and rain won't allow that.  Maybe tomorrow.  I have my last week’s Sunday market flowers ready to go.  But now I can buy that sunlamp to use for days like this.   It's on my list.

I washed clothes and linens while writing this. Does that mean laundry is inspirational?  Not so sure about that, although fresh linen sheets on the bed are always so nice.  My Peapod delivery came, so my larder is full.  I got my favourite delivery man.  He is always so pleasant and he actually noticed when Madeleine was no longer around.  Of course, not having to lug up the cat litter containers was certainly a tip off, but still he commented and commiserated.  I'm about to sit down and do my personal bookwork for the week with the last of my coffee.

And then some reading, I think, as the outside conditions are still not so great.  Perfect for reading the Brontë sisters or Thomas Harris or my beloved Henning Mankell.  Later I'll throw together a caprese salad, one of my favourite summer meals.

Tomorrow I'll go to my Sunday farmers market and see what I can find.  I'll try again to do some cameraless photography.  Maybe I'll get a pedicure.  Perhaps I'll stay in and practice with my pastels.  And there's always the Netflix binge option.

Monday I'll start all over again, hopefully with a bit more balance in my life.   If not, there is always next week.

©Trish Korous 2016

Comments

  1. so much in this, trish.
    I think of your son often.

    it must be awful to have expectations. I try to have none.

    I love that you are happy with your job. I've read all your used books, love middle eastern food, and "Arachnophobia" was filmed in the town leon and I were living in at the time. leon watched jeff daniels practice his putting during film takes, and he knew the football players in the movie. they were actual local high school football players.
    I love Scandinavian murder mysteries.
    so I can relate.

    I can no longer work, or I probably would be working still. but my body pooped out.

    but you, your balancing seems to be coming along nicely.

    loves..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s so cool about Arachnophobia! I like that you can relate to so much. I think many can. And i suppose that makes me not as special as my grandmothers led me to believe. Haha. Thanks for reading and commenting, Susan. It is much appreciated.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts