on the act of rebalancing, part II

This week I started a(nother) new job, and this one feels nothing like the last start, ten weeks ago.

Those of you that know me know this is not who I am, constantly changing jobs. But since returning to Chicago, I guess I’d been trying to recreate what I’d been used to for twenty years. That would be impossible to find.

And while I don’t wish to jinx anything, I must say that I actually quite like my new job. Everyone has been very pleasant and I’ve met a couple of people that I’d only exchanged emails with or talked to on the telephone previously. (I am working for a company that used to be one our customers at a previous job.) The benefits are nothing less than phenomenal, including daily chef prepared hot lunches, the location is very good and fairly well-known to me, and with my walks between buildings and the walks to and from the train, I am getting at least 6,700 to 7,200 of the suggested 10,000 daily steps, and at least twelve flights of stairs each day. That is over twice as much as before.

But most importantly, I don’t feel like an idiot. I know what I’m doing! Well, mostly, as there is the learning their way of doing things part and their software. But everything makes sense. There are not two hundred spreadsheets to try to remember to update. Nor purchase orders that get changed more than my knickers.

This not feeling like an idiot is a good thing. For one thing, I have more energy.

Friday, I stopped to buy cat food on the way home and on impulse, I popped into one of those cheap haircut places to get a trim. I’d wanted to do this before I started the job, but never got around to it. Not my wisest move. When I got home I saw my left side was about one to one-and-a-half inches shorter than my right. Ugh!

Saturday, I went to a proper salon and got my hair cut again, this time by a wonderful stylist, and still without costing an arm and a leg. I also treated myself to a manicure and pedicure. And now my toes are a funky cool blue.

Earlier in the week, I brought some 120 and 35mm film into Central Camera, the first I’ve taken in a few months. I hadn’t felt much like shooting. On Sundays, I was usually crying, literally crying, because the next day was Monday and a job I did not like.

I bought some inexpensive sheer RED curtains for my bedroom/work area which will add more balance to the room, I think. I bought a new embroidered jean jacket for when the temperatures finally cool, hopefully next month.

These may seem like things one always does and not such a big deal, but to me they are hardly insignificant. They are signs I am feeling better about my job and myself.  Despite the ungodly weather conditions outside, I am feeling pretty good.  It’s Sunday and there are no tears in sight.






queen anne's lace
©Trish Korous 2018

Comments

Popular Posts