on soon to come blessed autumn

This week has been glorious for me. After a warm and muggy start, Wednesday the weather turned cloudy, rainy, and much cooler. Sunshine is really overrated sometimes.

The lake was filled with large waves and the dune grasses performed a lovely, lively dance. The gulls hung out on the beach, content not to battle the strong headwinds.

I put up new sheer red curtains in my sleeping/office area. Henry Miller, when he discovered this, gave them a long hard look. I think he approves.

I’ve been enjoying Angry Orchard’s autumn variety pack of hard ciders. The Rose is very good and especially delicious with pink lady apples and Brie.

I've actually prepared and received the first copies of my 2019 calendars, well ahead of my usual October date.  This year I have Chicago and love, actually (New Orleans) available.  For now.

I still need to go through my closet and get rid of things I just didn’t wear and that won’t do at my job. I need to make room for the new items that are work-friendly. This includes shoes and purses. I admit to having something of a bag fetish, and many of these just are useless for the everyday realities and commute.

But in the meantime, I’ve been enjoying some favourite films, perfect for this time of year. 1980’s The Changeling with George C. Scott is a very well-done, classic ghost story. I found it on YouTube, after years of trying Comcast, Cox, then RCN, and Netflix.

Also found on YouTube, after the same maddening search, Picnic at Hanging Rock, a 1979 Australian film, is wonderfully dreamy and beautiful. Despite the disclaimers that it is purely fictional, I’d like to believe it’s all true.

I also rewatched The Devil's Backbone (Spanish: El espinazo del diablo). A 2001 film directed by Guillermo Del Toro. He is a master of gothic creepiness and this film, set at the end of the Spanish Civil War in a boys’ orphanage in the middle of nowhere, is incredible.

On Netflix, i just finished watching The Crown. While not an "autumn" series, I found it insanely good. Although I am conflicted about the actors changing for season three. Ms. Foy and Mr. Smith were just too perfect.

I am about to begin reading Stephen King’s The Shining. Yes. I’ve never read this, despite loving the 1980 Stanley Kubrick film, because who doesn’t like Jack, and enjoying Mr King’s storytelling in general. However, I usually find the film adaptations of his horror works to be quite disappointing. Not so with films made from his short stories such as Stand by Me (The Body, a 1982 novella) and The Shawshank Redemption (Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, another 1982 novella). And of course, The Green Mile, is good on so many levels. Period.

I am enjoying the changing season with its changing temperatures, foods, and clothes. And I love the coming creepiness and darkness and spine-tingling days and nights just around the corner.  The flowers may be dying, the leaves may be starting to change and fall, but I am, once again, coming out of my summer hibernation.

autumn symphony in three movements:  Allegro con brio
©Trish Korous | 2017

Comments

  1. You seem much happier than a few months ago. I also always look forward to autumn. I hate the heat and the harsh summer light. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it’s a combination of a job that is a much better fit, a new kitty love in my life, and the approaching autumn. Thank you for noticing and reading, Louise. I appreciate that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts