Scary Monsters
“Monsters exist, but they are too few in number to be truly dangerous. More dangerous are the common men, the functionaries ready to believe and to act without asking questions.” –Primo Levi
But I am trying to keep things in perspective and carry on with my life if only because there is no one to carry on but me.
On Sunday last, a seventy-three year old man was shot in the head and killed while walking his dogs. The next day, Monday, a twenty-four year old man was also shot in the head and killed while enjoying the lakefront. At my beach. The older gentleman was killed about three blocks north of me. Both were shot with the same gun, but other than that and the locations, and the fact that they both were men, there is nothing similar between the two.
We do know the suspected killer had an unusual gait, with feet pointed outwards and an odd little kick of the right foot. We know this due to alley and home security videos.
And as of now that’s really all that is known. We don’t know the race, despite earlier reports that it was a black man. He is so covered up in the video, the only things visible are the eyes. And I really shouldn’t say man, because that is unknown, too.
Friday morning, as I got off the bus on the university campus, I was walking behind a woman who had that same odd manner of walking. I walked past, telling myself to stop being an idiot. But this is what fear and uncertainty can do.
Friday afternoon, a guilty verdict was handed down to Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke for his killing of Laquan McDonald. As it should be.
Our Supreme Court nominee is still unconfirmed, but I fear he will become our newest judge and his confirmation will tip the court to the right enough that affirmative action and abortion rights, among others, may be impacted.
And that was no investigation, by the way. It was all for show. And the people that still don’t understand how adolescent and teen abuse are handled by the psyche need to just stop. Maybe they should stop having opinions on things they know nothing about. Dr. Ford spoke the truth. To this survivor’s ears and eyes, she was entirely credible.
Maybe Kavanaugh will encourage more people to get out and vote. I sure hope so. Although the enthusiasm is hopeful, I also know how fickle people can be.
Another weekend where I am too tired and apprehensive to do much of anything besides catch up on reading, do a bit of cooking, and enjoy Henry Miller’s quiet ways. And that’s enough.
![]() |
| untitled ©Trish Korous |



Comments
Post a Comment