on giving thanks

It’s been some time, I know. I guess the need to explain myself has not been first and foremost.  But I have not been idle. I have been given more duties at my job, and my days are busy and full with small victories, fleeting frustrations, a few laughs, and delicious food. I do love my job.

I’ve learned more about the woman I sit next to at work. She and I share a very bittersweet portion of our histories. We also share a humility and belief that gets us through the “joys” of a very small shared work space. Neither of us can wait until we move into the new offices where we (hopefully) will not be on top of each other.

On the homefront, I am falling more in love with my sweet Henry Miller. One of the best things I ever did was to adopt him. The fact that he can’t wait for me to sit in my chair when I get home so he can jump into my lap and stare into my eyes, purring loudly, is almost too much to handle. It’s so nice to come home to him.

I’ve slowly been sending people I care about small gifts just to say thanks for being in my life and I love you. This makes me very happy. And it’s wonderful to be in a position to be able to do this again.  My credit score is finally in the fair category which is far from ideal, but very good after my bankruptcy in 2016. 


My employer gave us turkeys for Thanksgiving and as I cannot use it, I gave it to a couple in my neighbourhood to help feed their families. I was happy to do this, and not waste food or snub management.

Personally, I am very happy with the outcome of the Midterms earlier this month. Wars are won battle by battle. I just hope the Democrats don’t become complacent over the next two years and that the blue energy remains high.

I’ve been shooting almost exclusively with my film cameras recently and I have to say, I feel much more satisfaction than when I pull out my mobile. I know I’ve said this before, but I like thinking about each shot: the composition, framing, light. I like the patience it requires as that is a trait I struggle with in other areas of my life.

As I am somewhat allergic to flash, I prefer using only available light. However, my gifted Polaroid One Step challenges my flash allergy, as polas love flash. I’ve learned the hard way. Which is just fine, by the way.

As another Thanksgiving approaches, I am thankful for so much in my life. While it may not be the most glamorous or exciting life, it’s good. And that’s all the excitement I need.

A Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends.
Eat and drink and travel safely. 


Shots from my wild chicago series, shot across three different film formats:

 35mm
Kodak Psychedelic Blues 400 
©Trish Korous | 2018


Polaroid 600
Polaroid Original Film
©Trish Korous | 2018


35mm
Kodak Psychedelic Blues 400
©Trish Korous | 2018
medium format
Kodak Portra 400
©Trish Korous | 2018



 






Comments

  1. all your photos are magnificent. I told you, I ordered some of the psychedelic blues from B&H, I think. it hasn't come yet. I ordered on a sabbat and had to wait until they re-opened. I hope I can get such lovely photos as yours. so I need to haul out my film cameras.
    our life is also simple but grand. if we can just get the country under control.
    loves to you, trish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts