weekend update

Forgive my absence, but, you know… life.

My sweet little guy, Henry Miller, died on the sixteenth of May and it still seems a bit surreal. We didn't have nearly enough time together, but his small body just couldn’t hold out anymore. As I held him at the vet’s office, before the final shot was given, he turned his head and looked at me intensely. His eyes were clearer than they’d been for many days. I’d like to believe he was saying thank you. In all honesty, he was the best cat. And I also like to believe he’s now hanging out with Mollie Malone and Madeleine Manx.

Mademoiselle Bon Bon is keeping me amused and on my toes. She’s finally accepted that Henry Miller is not returning and she’s making this home her home quite well. Not at all like Henry Miller, a lot like Madeleine Manx, but ultimately, all Bon Bon.

Maybe about a month or two ago, my boss told me that our company had won the contract for UNO. The University of New Orleans. He also said that if I wanted to move back to New Orleans, he would do his best to make that happen, as far as writing glowing reviews, speaking to the powers that be, et cetera, because I’ve been such an asset in opening the Chicago account. Remaining calm (yes… moi!!!) and using my experience and maturity to handle the stresses and ups and downs. He knows how much I miss New Orleans from the tone of my voice and light in my eyes when I speak of adventures there.

So, being me, I’ve been obsessing over this. This time I'd have a job that I like, but not much savings going in. I wouldn’t have months to plan. I know how much it costs for a long-distance move. The company would probably not help with relocation costs as I am not management. I’d still have to apply for the job, but not until January as the company says one must be in a position for eighteen months before moving to another one. And I have no idea if the pay would be the same. I’d need the same amount to manage the eight months of air conditioning. And the oysters. But I do believe I’d have a job to work when we have our forced time off so I could actually use vacation time for a vacation and not because the campus is closed for a week and a half or two at Christmas. So that’s a check in the pro column. (I make an actual pen and paper pro and con list for any big decisions.) And this time, I do know people. I do have friends there. That’s a huge pro. Probably the most important pro.

But it’s still New Orleans with the termite swarms in May, the humidity that does not stop, and drunk tourists.

It’s also exquisite morning light in the quarter, food made in heaven, and winters with no salt stains on boots or six layers of clothing. Did I mention the music?

Seriously, much to think about. How have y’all been?

swing shift
New Orleans
©Trish Korous | 2014

Comments

Popular Posts