on life one year later

One year later, one year after lockdown. Actually sixteen months since it all began here. In Chicago. For me. During this time, I’ve been through every emotion: fear, loneliness, despair, and boredom. I’ve been wracked with endless worry, suicidal thoughts, and an early on heart attack scare which was only anxiety. Only… hahaha. My health insurance stopped with my last job. Who in the hell can afford COBRA insurance even in the best of circumstances?

I sent out endless resumes, received dozens of phone calls, had many virtual interviews. I worked a contract job for six months, which was okay, but even though I wanted to be offered a permanent job, I knew the company was not a good fit. This job was not a work from home thing. So the fear of being homeless was replaced with the fear of being on public transportation.

The job ended on the twenty-ninth of January. I’d already resumed my job search prior to leaving. In February I applied for a position and received a call soon after. After we ended the call, I got a callback in less than ten minutes asking if I’d like to come in for an interview. YES!

I went and liked the people that interviewed me and with whom I’d be working. I was impressed by the facility and the commute. Two days later I got the call that they liked me, too. I began the following Monday.

Three and a half months in, and I still am very happy. There is lots to learn, coupled with stuff I know very well, so perfect to my eyes. Everyone I work with is nice and helpful. The residents are varied and interesting. Some are a downright hoot.

I once again have health, dental, and vision insurance. I have paid holidays and vacation time and personal days. I can even eat there. Breakfast and lunch. Sometimes I grab some scrambled eggs, although I usually have yogurt or oatmeal at home. But I am grateful for the lunches. All kosher. And some are downright yummy. (Can you say blintzes? The cooks make a cold sardine salad with apples that is very good. We also had a chilled avocado soup this past week. Oh. My. Goodness.)

So I guess things are slowly returning to normalcy here. The city opened up this Friday past, and while I did not go out to celebrate (too many goofy people out there still) I feel a bit more like myself. Although I really have to do some mental gymnastics to get out and take photos. Sometimes to make collages which I started about a year ago. I feel like the pandemic has made me more reclusive, and that is not a good thing. Maybe I’ll snap out of that, too. I hope.

Family will be in town this week and I’ll finally get to see - and hug - these fully-vaccinated loved-ones. And play with the new puppy in the family. So things are looking up. I hope I continue on the upswing. I still have so much I want to do.


carnations
35mm
©Trish Korous 2021


Comments

Popular Posts